The Dirty Portafilter

My corner of the Internet, mostly espresso related but occasionally life will interfere.

Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Be Thankful For What You Have


My wife said something to me a couple of days ago that got me thinking. I was lusting after the Elektra A3 and talking about how ‘awesome’ it would be to upgrade my Isomac. I was rambling on about the 6 liter boiler, rotary pump, …. Of course she had no idea what I was talking about, or really care. Then she looks at me and says ‘you should be grateful for what you do have’. I hate to admit it but she is correct, I should be more grateful.

I have to say that I have been blessed. It was not that many years ago (11 I believe) that I was out of work for almost a year. I did not have two penny’s to rub together, a wife, new baby and more bills then I could even comprehend. I did whatever I had to do just to keep my little apartment and went bankrupt.

I moved back to Dayton from Denver, quit feeling sorry for myself and made another hard run at life. Now I have a nice job (IT manager) making a decent salary, nice house, 20,000 gallon swimming pool, two motorcycles, truck, van, and most importantly my family, first and only wife, daughter, son, dog and cat (bet you thought I was going to say espresso machine).

It has been almost a year now since I dove into the espresso world. I have had an Ebay special pump machine, KitchenAid Pro, Gaggia Factory, Isomac millennium, KitchenAid A9 grinder, Gagga MDF grinder and a Mazzer Mini-P, all in ONE YEAR, and I still want something bigger and bad’r. I should be more grateful for what I have, you take it all for granted until you lose it all (as Two Martinis did in a fire a month ago). I still have the Factory, Millennium, A9, MDF, and Mini.


With all of the natural disasters the world has seen this year, we should be more grateful for what we have. If you have a roof over your head, food in the refrigerator, and a few dollars in your wallet, you are among the top 95% of the world’s population. So slow down, kiss your wife/husband, hug your kids, pull a shot and take a moment to count your blessings.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home