The Dirty Portafilter

My corner of the Internet, mostly espresso related but occasionally life will interfere.

Saturday, October 22, 2005

El Salvador Montanita Cup Of Excellence

Before I headed off to Pittsburgh I roasted up my last little batch of El Salvador Lot #15 Montanita. This was a 2004 cup of excellence winner.

I roasted up a batch to city+, the first couple snaps of second crack. The beans were a nice milk chocolate brown with no oil spot. After a 5 day rest some light spotting was forming as you can see here.

I did try it as a single origin espresso, I won’t do that again. As an espresso, the brightness will blow your ears off.

Having decided that espresso was not this varietals high point I heated up the French press pot. The aromatics were very sweet and floral. I am at a loss for words to describe this coffee. It is bright but well balanced, sweet, floral and smooth with just a hint of nuttiness in the finish. A good coffee flavor and easy to drink. Unfortunately, this was the last few ounces I had and is no longer available.

This may make a nice addition to an espresso blend. It would have to be paired up with a deep bodied blend to control the acidity but we will never know.

Up next, RedLine from my friend Tony over at metropolis coffee up in Chicago.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home