The Dirty Portafilter

My corner of the Internet, mostly espresso related but occasionally life will interfere.

Wednesday, November 30, 2005

The Coffee Community, Thanks Barry..

It was just a few days ago that I made a passing comment on Home-Barista about breaking two of my Bodum cups and was hoping that someone would have cups on sale. Then I get home from a long day of work to find two packages on the kitchen counter. One was a batch of coffee from an espresso exchange we are doing on opencoffee.net, the other a box from Illinois. Illinois? I think to myself, no one in the exchange is from Illinois.

So I open it up, low and behold look what Barry sent me!

My last glass met an untimely demise while it was perched on the edge of my drip tray. Another was dropped into my sink and shattered quite explosively.


Sometimes I forget how nice some folks can be. Something I have noticed over the past year is the sense of community that is shared within the coffee enthusiast’s domain. I am new to the espresso world but I am a long time motorcyclist.

This sense of brotherhood is something I have only experienced in the biker world. Wherever you go you have a friend just because you are part of the motorcycle community. Unless you ride you probably will not understand. In the motorcycle community there is a set of gentlemen’s rules that most follow. We wave at each other as we pass. Some may have noticed that, we don’t actually know each other, it is a curtsy, a customary greeting like shaking hands. You stop to help a fellow motorcyclist if he is broken down or in distress. Most important of all, respect each other.

Same holds true for the espresso community. There is no shortage of people willing to lend a hand or spend some of their free time to help out with a problem. I have even been invited into other people’s homes while on travel just to enjoy a good espresso and good company. I have benefited from the wisdom and generosity of others and have tried to give back to the community as much as I can.

I guess that is one of the reasons I keep returning to this community and enjoy conversing with all of you.

Barry is a coffee professional, Vice President of Riley's coffee & Fudge, and a member of the Home-Barista community. We converse over the forums, another friend two states over. If you find yourself passing through Dayton Ohio, give me a shout, you are welcome in my home.

So thanks for the Christmas present Barry, this macchiato is for you…


2 Comments:

  • At 7:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Very cool, but of course our good friend at Riley's is Barry, not Berry. ;-)

     
  • At 8:35 AM, Blogger cannonfodder said…

    Goodness, now that is embarrassing. Our receptionist’s last name is Berry, I must have typed it like that out of habit. My apologies.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home