The Dirty Portafilter

My corner of the Internet, mostly espresso related but occasionally life will interfere.

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Rotisserie Roaster Died, We Can Rebuild It, We Have The Technology…

I lost a good friend a few days ago. Why, owe why do the good ones die young? My hot rod rotisserie oven roaster motor died mid roast. No squeaks, grinding, groaning, it just stopped. Granted, with my mods I regularly run 550-600f in an oven that was designed for 400F use. Combine that with a motor that is only a half-inch from the inner shell; I should have expected it to eventually burn out.

So off to the giant surplus parts store I go. I found an 115V motor and a reduction unit to reduce the rotation speed to 15rpm. I mounted the motor on the exterior of the unit to get it away from the extreme heat. I had to build an extension shaft to traverse the gap from the exterior to the interior (long threaded stud with the rotisserie receptacle end welded to it). Got my motor mounted, attached my start capacitor and fired it up. 5 minuets later, the motor stopped, my heart dropped.

After a bit of tinkering and testing, I realized that there was a thermal switch in the motor that was shutting it down. So I pulled the motor apart, removed the breaker and rewired. Now it will run until it burns up, not good either. So off to the surplus store I go again. This time I picked up an 115v squirrel cage fan, 4 heat synchs and a power block.

I pulled the motor apart again, drilled and mounted the heat synchs on the motor case and grind down the studs inside the motor casing. I also drilled a few strategically placed vent holes in the casing to aid cooling. Then I mounted the fan above the motor to cool it and the heat synchs and attached the capacitor.

Then I mounted the power block and wired everything to it. That way, when the rotisserie is on, so is the fan. Looks big, gangly and most defiantly home built, but boy does she work good. I am getting a faster roast with the higher drum RPM and it sheds off chaff better as well. Hopefully it will last a couple more years.

2 Comments:

  • At 12:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    how about a full profile of this beast? sounds similar to what i was thinking about -- got a foreman jr at the thrift store and it seemed simple enough to insulate better and add heating elements from toaster ovens.

     
  • At 8:33 AM, Blogger cannonfodder said…

    That is actually on my list of things to do. I am resurrecting an old Faema two group commercial machine right now so it is getting all of my attention and moving along quickly. I may do that while I am waiting on parts for it.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home