The Dirty Portafilter

My corner of the Internet, mostly espresso related but occasionally life will interfere.

Monday, September 11, 2006

Chicago, Land of Excellent Espresso

Well I am in Chicago this week for a Citrix presentation server admin class. I drove 400 miles Sunday, checked into my hotel and then drove another 40 miles to go to metropolis coffee. Wonderful shop and it has grown by leaps and bounds the past couple of years.

When I last visited, they had only been open for a few months. Two years later, they have added another roaster, many more employees from the looks of thing, and doubled the size of the Café. It was 7pm on a Sunday and they were packed! As alwayse good espresso.

Tomorrow I am heading over to Jim Schulman’s house to play with his Elektra. I brought my Cimabli grinder and Gaggia Espresso machine with me. I am sure we will pull shots, compare cups and talk shop for a few hours. Then a café tour of Chicago another evening and maybe even a visit to Intelligentsia’s roasting operation Friday.

3 Comments:

  • At 4:17 PM, Blogger mikep said…

    Hope you make it to the Monadnock Intelligentsia- it's my favorite of their 3 locations.

     
  • At 8:28 PM, Blogger crocophile said…

    Hey Dave,

    Thanks for the nice words, and thanks for driving 10 billion extra miles for an espresso!

    I'm gearing up for a website regular posting, and will put your son front and center!

    Cheers,

    Tony

     
  • At 9:53 PM, Anonymous Shane Lapan said…

    Yes, it's true the Chicago is the land of excellent espresso. I'm always looking for a place that has a good espresso and also a good service.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home